Where books are chronicled from beginning to end, and never stop being read.

Friday, May 3, 2013

Murder Under The Microscope

Murder Under the Microscope by Jane Bennett Munro
What can possibly be preserved when everything around you is completely altered?

How do you fight accusations from your own peers, including the police?

Jane Bennett Munro has orchestrated the ultimate novel to answer such puzzling dilemmas. In the world of Dr. Antoinette Day, a pathologist at Perrine Memorial Hospital in Twin Falls, Idaho, reputation is everything. Never has it been more crucial to necessitate the preservation of her professional integrity than the present.

The appearance of Dr. Shore, a temporary replacement for a regular resident, begins the rapid decline into strange occurances such as misread reports and missing patient data. The sudden onslaught of murder doesn't help matters. It seems that practically overnight, Dr. Day has become the focus of a police investigation that places her as the prime suspect.

"Oh, no. I broke out in a cold sweat. My knees felt as if they were going to buckle under me."

But her professional life isn't the only thing threatened. Antoinette and her husband, Hal, are thrown yet another twist, they are being stalked within the privacy of their home.

"I opened my mouth to answer, but before I got a word out, Hal took the phone away from me and hung up. I was so angry I was shaking. Hal put his arms around me and held me without saying a word. I buried my face in his shirt front. We stood there like that for a long time."

It is an intriguing tale of murder, deceit and, strangely enough, faith. The author's background lends a deeper perspective into the medical world, illuminating and merging complicated data into an intelligent and appalling story. Munro demonstrates her talents of narration throughout the book.

If there's any downside here, it is that I wish the antagonist who was thought to be the villain, had been given a longer lifespan; after all, I do love a horrible nemesis. Perhaps it was Munro's way of presenting a murderous intent, so deeply hidden, it projected the ultimate sinister unknown presence.

Jane Bennett Munro, MD, has been a hospital-based pathologist for thirty-three-years. She is now semi-retired, residing in Twin Falls, Idaho.

Murder Under the Microscope by Jane Bennett Munro, 2011 ISBN 978-1-4502-9862-9

No comments:

Post a Comment